Recipe by grandma2969
This is a three-layered almond square--cakelike on the bottom, a fragrant marzipan filling in the middle, and the top of a crisp nut-topped meringue. All in all, it is a rich and unusual cookie.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups tbsps granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large eggs egg yolk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond paste (marzipan)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter slightly, then gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and egg yolk, stir in the flour and 3/4 tsp of salt by hand.
- Spread the mixture into an ungreased glass 13x9-inch baking pan, making a smooth layer.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes, until it is set but not brown.
- In a food processor, mix together 1 cup of sugar, the almond paste, lemon juice, vanilla and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt; reserve.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites till frothy, then sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- By hand, fold the almond paste mixture into the egg whites with a rubber spatula and spread over the baked crust.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top and bake the cookies for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool partially and cut the cookies while still warm into 48 narrow bars.
- These freeze well.