Polish braised beef with mushroom stuffing in a sour cream sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef eye round, about 4 wide, tied at 2 intervals
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms (preferably porcini)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs from day old bread, crusts removed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1Soak dried mushrooms in boiling water until they are soft and flexible (at least 2 hours).
- 2Pat the beef dry with paper towel and sprinkle on all sides with salt and pepper.
- 3In a heavy skillet, heat the oil until it is very hot, but not smoking, and brown the beef, turning it often so it browns evenly on all sides and doesn't burn (about 15 minutes).
- 4Transfer the meat to a large casserole dish.
- 5Bring broth and tomato paste to a boil over high heat in the skillet, stirring constantly (scraping the bottom and sides of the pan).
- 6Pour the broth over the meat, cover tightly, and let simmer for 2 hours.
- 7Place the mushrooms in a 1-qt saucepan with their soaking water and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to low heat and let simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 8Strain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid in a separate bowl.
- 9Finely chop the mushrooms.
- 10In a small pan, melt the butter and sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat until the onions are translucent, but not browned (2-3 minutes).
- 11Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 12Remove mixture from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 13Stir in bread crumbs, egg, salt, thyme, pepper, and parsley.
- 14Moisten with 1 tablespoon reserved water from mushrooms.
- 15When the meat has been braised, remove it from the casserole dish and with a very sharp knife slice it crosswise into 12 thin slices (slice to within an inch of the bottom, but do NOT slice all the way through).
- 16Divide the stuffing into 6 equal portions and spread a portion on every other slice of meat, spreading as evenly as possible.
- 17Slide 2 pieces of string under the beef criss-crossing them in the middle; bring them over the top and knot them securely to hold the slices in place.
- 18Return the beef to the casserole dish and top with remaining reserved water from the mushrooms.
- 19Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to low, and let simmer until meat is tender (about 45 minutes).
- 20Remove beef from pan and cover with foil to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- 21Skim off and discard as much of the fat as possible from the liquid remaining in the casserole dish.
- 22Return to a boil over medium heat.
- 23In a small bowl, beat together all of the ingredients listed under sauce.
- 24Beat about 1/2 cup of the hot stock into the sour cream mixture, and slowly pour back into the casserole dish.
- 25Let simmer, stirring constantly until sauce thickens slightly (2-3 minutes) (Do NOT let it come to a boil or it may curdle).
- 26Remove the strings and cut through every other slice of beef so that each serving consists of two slices of meat with stuffing in between.
- 27Serve with sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duszona Wolowina W Potrawce Grzybowej (Polish Braised Beef)
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.5
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 288.6 mg
- Sodium 1498.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 70.8 g