Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food, Periplus Editions,1998 I'm always on the lookout for durian recipes and this is a good one.
- 4 -5 pieces fresh durian or 4 -5 pieces frozen durian
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 125 g sugar
- If using frozen durian, thaw completely.
- Remove seeds and press flesh through a nylon sieve to eliminate the fine fibres.
- Heat milk and cream in a heavy enamel or other non-aluminium pan, stirring until almost boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar until light, stir in a ladleful of the hot milk mixture and return to saucepan.
- Stir over very low heat until custard thickens, taking care not to let it boil or it will curdle.
- Cool the custard and chill it well, then add a little at a time to the durian pulp, combining it thoroughly before adding more custard.
- This keeps the texture even.
- Freeze in a churn or in a shallow glass dish.
- If using still-freezing method, stir 2 or 3 times during freezing to enhance smoothness.
- Or, after it has frozen, break into pieces and purée in food processor until smooth but not melted.
- Return to freezer until firm.
- Press freezer wrap directly on surface of ice cream to prevent ice crystals forming.
- It is advisable to store durian ice cream in a freezer container with a well-fitting lid.