4 hrs 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
From Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food, Periplus Editions,1998 I'm always on the lookout for durian recipes and this is a good one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If using frozen durian, thaw completely.
- 2Remove seeds and press flesh through a nylon sieve to eliminate the fine fibres.
- 3Heat milk and cream in a heavy enamel or other non-aluminium pan, stirring until almost boiling.
- 4Whisk egg yolks with sugar until light, stir in a ladleful of the hot milk mixture and return to saucepan.
- 5Stir over very low heat until custard thickens, taking care not to let it boil or it will curdle.
- 6Cool the custard and chill it well, then add a little at a time to the durian pulp, combining it thoroughly before adding more custard.
- 7This keeps the texture even.
- 8Freeze in a churn or in a shallow glass dish.
- 9If using still-freezing method, stir 2 or 3 times during freezing to enhance smoothness.
- 10Or, after it has frozen, break into pieces and purée in food processor until smooth but not melted.
- 11Return to freezer until firm.
- 12Press freezer wrap directly on surface of ice cream to prevent ice crystals forming.
- 13It is advisable to store durian ice cream in a freezer container with a well-fitting lid.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Durian ice cream
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.1
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 115.8 mg
- Sodium 36.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: