- 8 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 ounces lard
- 8 -10 fluid ounces buttermilk or 8 -10 fluid ounces 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt together into a bowl, then rub in the lard until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk or milk, beating lightly to give a dropping consistency. Drop the mixture, in spoonfuls on to a hot well greased griddle or frying pan and cook picketlets for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Keep warm, wrapped in a clean tea towl and serve hot, spread with plenty of butter.