6 hrs 25 mins
Debby H's Note:
Back in the 80's I was in Boston and decided to eat at a restaurant called Durgin Park. Not knowing it was a legend and that the wait staff was noted for their unusual service. I loved the baked beans so much that I planned several trips later on just to eat at Durgin Park. Several years ago I stumbled across this recipe on CopyKat Recipes and have been using it ever since. No need to travel to Boston anymore. The original recipe is baked in the oven, I adapted mine to do in a crock pot (cut the ingredients in half). I have included directions for both. The result is not the traditional baked bean with a thick sauce, but Durgin Park is not a traditional restaurant. The sauce is very thin, but oh so good. Hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1FOR BOTH VERSIONS, soak the beans overnight in water.
- 2Drain, rinse and put beans in a large stockpot.
- 3Add enough water to cover beans along with the baking soda.
- 4Bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Drain beans and rinse.
- 7OVEN VERSION, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 8Place the onion in the bottom of a 3 quart ovenproof casserole.
- 9Add half the bacon, add the beans and top with remaining bacon.
- 10Mix the sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper together.
- 11Pour over the beans.
- 12Add just enough water to barely cover.
- 13DO NOT stir.
- 14Cover and bake for six hours (you may need to add a little water but be careful not to get the beans too wet).
- 15CROCKPOT VERSION, to fit into a 2 1/2 quart Crockpot cut ingredients in half.
- 16Place the onion in the bottom of the Crockpot.
- 17Follow with half the bacon, all the beans and the remaining bacon.
- 18Mix the sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper together.
- 19Pour over the beans.
- 20Add just enough water to barely cover.
- 21DO NOT stir.
- 22Cover and bake for 7- 8 hours (you may need to add a little water but be careful not to get the beans too wet).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Durgin Park Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.4
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 728.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g