Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Marcus Samuelsson - this awesome dip is super easy and a nice change up. Do not make it in a blender as the sesame seeds will turn into paste - best in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. Try it with olive oil to dip in bread or pita or with chicken.
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, hulled
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 8 mint leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme (leaves only)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Heat a small saute pan over med heat.
- Add pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and peppercorns and toast, stirring until fragrant (about 5 min).
- Add the sesame seeds, mint leaves, thyme, coriander, and cumin and toast, stirring frequently until fragrant.
- Transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and grind until seeds and nuts are coarsely crushed, then add salt.
- Store in a tightly covered container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Put my mortar and pestle to good work today to make this delicious, nutty-spicy seasoning. I just used it as a snack for the kids, sprinkling it onto olive-oil-brushed pita crisps. Yummy!