Prep 2 hrs
Cook 5 mins
I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction recently, they are all on hand written index cards. NOTE: none of these have time or servings on them so I am guesstimating those.
- 7.08 g package quick-rising yeast
- 28.39 ml tap water, warm
- 177.44 ml milk, lukewarm scalded then cooled
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml vegetable shortening
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 2.46 ml clear vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml sifted confectioners' sugar
- 14.79 ml evaporated milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Cover and let rise on floured baking sheets until double, 30-40 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as they turn golden brown, about one minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surfaces) and drain.
- When cool, make small hole to insert vanilla filling (recipe follows) . Take a sharp narrow knife and carefully make a large cavity inside of the doughnut to hold the filling. Fill the doughnuts generously and dust heavily with confectioners' sugar.
- Vanilla Filling: Cream butter and shortening, gradually add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add milk and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy.
These were very good and very easy to make. I had a little bit of a problem getting them to rise, but it was a little chilly and I expect that was the only issue. They are very soft and tasty and I will be making them again! I used Clear Lemon Jelly Filling as the filling for these. There are no Dunkin' Donuts up here in Alaska and this was the closest I can get. It helped shoo away some of the homesickness. Thanks a bunch for sharing!
Very nice indeed, love the filling!