Recipe by Cookin In Texas
I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction recently, they are all on hand written index cards. NOTE: none of these have time or servings on them so I am guesstimating those.
Top Review by anniesnomsblog
We've only just got Dunkin' Donuts here and it's not the same as I've heard the US stores are! I've always been intrigued as to all the fabulous donuts they make, so I had to make these! They are amazing!! Light, fluffy and that filling is to die for! I now know what I've been missing and I'm going to have to come to US one day to go to Dunkin' donuts! For now, I'm happy with these copycat versions though!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package quick-rising yeast
- 1⁄8 cup tap water, warm
- 3⁄4 cup milk, lukewarm scalded then cooled
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Cover and let rise on floured baking sheets until double, 30-40 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as they turn golden brown, about one minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surfaces) and drain.
- When cool, make small hole to insert vanilla filling (recipe follows) . Take a sharp narrow knife and carefully make a large cavity inside of the doughnut to hold the filling. Fill the doughnuts generously and dust heavily with confectioners' sugar.
- Vanilla Filling: Cream butter and shortening, gradually add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add milk and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy.