1/1 Photo of Dungeness & Mushroom Chowder
Who doesn't love a warm chowder on a cold day! Adapted from Alaskaseafood.org and Sunset magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 lb mushrooms, such as chanterelles, oysters or 1 lb shiitake mushroom
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped (about 4 slices)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- 1 lb crabmeat, shelled cooked Alaska Dungeness preferred
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a 3- to 4-quart pan, combine potatoes with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse mushrooms briefly and drain. Trim off and discard any tough stem ends; if using shiitakes, discard whole stems. Cut mushrooms into large bite-size pieces. In a heavy 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and stir often until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
- 3Add bacon to same pan over medium-high heat and stir often until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and stir often until onion is limp, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir often until just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Whisk chicken broth and cream into pan and continue whisking until mixture boils and thickens, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in sherry, Worcestershire, and thyme, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- 5Gently stir in potatoes, mushrooms, and crabmeat. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until heated through.
- 6Cook's tip: You can substitute common button mushrooms for the wild ones. To add wild flavor, cover 2 packages mixed dried wild mushrooms (about 3/4 oz. total) with 1 cup boiling water and let soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Lift mushrooms out gently, squeeze dry, and cut into bite-size pieces; add with button mushrooms. Substitute the mushroom-soaking liquid for one cup of the chicken broth, pouring it in carefully, leaving the sediment behind.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dungeness & Mushroom Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.1
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 98.3 mg
- Sodium 1022.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 19.0 g