Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a sublime combination of high quality ingredients and beautiful presentation. Makes a very nice appetizer for 6 or possibly a light dinner for 4.
- 1 lb dungeness crabmeat (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper (diced and sauteed with the onion)
- 1⁄2 cup white onion (diced and sauteed with the peppers)
- 1⁄2 ounce lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chives (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 fresh tomatoes (peeled)
- 1 shallot (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon chives (chopped)
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- For the Crab Cake:.
- Carefully clean the crabmeat to remove any shell fragments. You may use the refrigerated canned lump crab if desired.
- Gently fold in the red pepper, lemon zest, chive, tarragon, mayo, mustard and breadcrumbs until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Form the cakes into 6-8 individual patties; gently pressing into a circular form. Refrigerate while preparing the buerre blanc.
- Tomato Beurre Blanc: Sauté the tomato, shallot, chive and olive oil until tender. Add chicken stock, peppercorns and bay leaf and cook over medium heat.
- Reduce by about 50%.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and heavy cream.
- Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cold butter a little at a time while continually stirring.
- When all of the butter is incorporated remove from heat and strain.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- To Finish Crabcakes: Preheat a large skillet or griddle on medium high.
- Melt a little butter/olive oil in the the skillet. Reduce heat to medium.
- Place crab cakes on the heated pan and cook until golden brown.
- Turn and brown other side.
- To Plate: Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce in the middle of the plate. Place the crab cake on top.
- Lightly toss lemon and oil with the baby greens. Top crabcake with a small amount of salad and serve.