Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from the Salty's Restaurant website, which is one our favorite restaurants. Salty's specializes in local Pacific Northwest fish and seafood and other fresh local ingredients (like tons of delicious berry recipes are usually featured on their special summer menu!) But I really love this bisque and order it whenever we dine at that restaurant. So I was glad to find it on their website so we can have it at home now.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dungeness crabs, broken into small sections
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 24 ounces fish stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, seeded, roasted and pureed
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- For the Crab Bisque: In a deep stock pot, heat butter over medium heat and sauté crab sections until they become bright red. Remove from pot and reserve. Add onion, celery and carrot to stockpot, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add tomato, garlic and sauté 2 more minutes. Add tomato paste and combine well. Add wine and deglaze pan until almost dry. Add fish stock, thyme, paprika, cayenne, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the bisque is reducing, crack and remove crab meat from sautéed crab sections and set aside. Add heavy cream and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the bisque and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the Pepper Crème Fraîche: Mix pablano pepper purée and yellow pepper purée together in small bowl. Add crème Fraîche and mix well.
- Add crabmeat to the bisque and serve immediately with a dollop of Roasted Pepper crème Fraîche.