1/13 Photos of Dungeness Crab Bisque
3 hrs 45 mins
Ian Magary's Note:
A recipe given to me by my best friend Bill Coyle, an Executive chef that has worked in many gourmet kitchens and resorts. It's a more complex recipe than I've seen posted here on food.com but a great challenge and makes a phenomenally exquisite soup! Serve with fresh baked sour-dough bread
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Light Fumet (Fish Stock)
- 10 lbs fish bones, with some meat still attached
- 1 lb white mirepoix
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1 sachet d'espices
For the White Mirepoix
- 1/4 lb chopped onion
- 1/4 lb chopped leek
- 1/4 lb chopped celery
- 1/8 lb chopped mushroom (optional)
- 1/4 lb chopped parsnip (optional)
For the sachet d espices
For the veloute sauce
For the Soup
- 1 1/2 lbs dungeness crab shells
- 1 lb yellow onion, minced
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 3 ounces brandy
- 3 quarts veloute sauce
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 26 ounces dungeness crabmeat
- black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces dry sherry
For the Pernod Chantilly
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon Pernod, or
- 3/4 tablespoon ouzo
- 1For the Light Fumet (Fish Stock):.
- 21. Make the white mirepoix by mincing all vegetables. At a minimum, use onion, celery and leek. Parsnip and mushrooms are optional.
- 32. Combine sachet d'espices ingredients in cheese cloth, wrap and tie with kitchen twine for easy retrieval later.
- 43. Combine Fishbones, white mirepoix, and water in pot dangling the sachet d'epices.
- 54. Bring mixture to a simmer (DO NOT BOIL).
- 65. Skim the surface to remove floaties & scum.
- 76. Simmer for 45 to 50 minutes adding water as necessary so you end up with a gallon of stock.
- 87. Strain stock using a chinoise or cheese cloth.
- 9For the Veloute:.
- 101. Build a blonde roux using the melted butter and flour, cooking on med-low heat for 5 minutes, until it becomes straw colored.
- 112. Whisk or stir in half the fish stock making sure the paste has dissolved and a liquid has formed without any lumps. Stir in remaining stock.
- 123. Simmer until thickened. About 25 minutes.
- 13For the Soup:.
- 141. Wrap crab shells in a tea towel and beat them with a hammer to break them into small pieces.
- 152. Sauté the crab shells with the butter and onions.
- 163. Add garlic, paprika and tomato paste and cook for a few minutes -- don't burn the tomato paste!
- 174. Add brandy and deglaze. let brandy reduce to au sec (almost dry).
- 185. Add the veloute and simmer for 45 minutes. strain the bisque through a chinoise or cheese cloth.
- 196. Return the bisque to a simmer and add the already heated cream.
- 207. Adjust the seasoning with the S/P, old bay, tabasco and Worcestershire ( taste as you go on this step).
- 218. Add the crab meat and sherry immediately prior to serving.
- 229. If you want to impress your friends you can also make a Pernod Chantilly to float on top of your finished soup -- looks cool and tastes great --.
- 23For the Pernod Chantilly:.
- 241. Whip the cream to slight peaks and slowly add Pernod (or other anise flavored liquor such as Ouzo) and whip it in bowl with beaters until it peaks, float on top of soup and torch lightly.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dungeness Crab Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.2
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 153.2 mg
- Sodium 692.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning