Dungeness Crab and Black Bean Soup
- Place the beans in a large saucepan, and cover them with 4 quarts of cold water. Bring to boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- Simmer, replenishing the water as necessary, until the beans are tender, anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on the age of the beans. Drain the beans, reserving 10 cups of cooking liquid.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are soft but not browned.
- Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, beans and cooking liquid. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. simmer for 1/2 hour. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the bean mixture and puree the rest in a food processor. Return to the pot, add the reserved beans and reheat to a simmer, thinning with a bit of water if the soup seems too thick. Stir in the crab meat and ladle into bowls. Garnish with sour creme or yogurt and cilantro.