Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I love the flavors of this soup. Dungeness crab is one of my favorite seafood.
Make and share this Dungeness Crab and Black Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 ounces plum tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 lb dungeness crabmeat, picked over
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Place the beans in a large saucepan, and cover them with 4 quarts of cold water. Bring to boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- Simmer, replenishing the water as necessary, until the beans are tender, anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on the age of the beans. Drain the beans, reserving 10 cups of cooking liquid.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are soft but not browned.
- Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, beans and cooking liquid. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. simmer for 1/2 hour. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the bean mixture and puree the rest in a food processor. Return to the pot, add the reserved beans and reheat to a simmer, thinning with a bit of water if the soup seems too thick. Stir in the crab meat and ladle into bowls. Garnish with sour creme or yogurt and cilantro.