Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A creamy carrot soup garnished with Dungeness crabmeat. (Use fresh crab for best results, but canned (and some kind other than Dungeness) can be used).
- 36.97 ml unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 453.59 g carrot, sliced (no need to peel)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 29.58 ml white rice (uncooked)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml lemon zest
- 170.09 g crabmeat (from a 1 1/2 lb. Dungeness crab, cooked and shelled)
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml chives, minced
- chives, chopped (for garnishing)
- In a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, black pepper and cumin. Cook, stirring, until onions are light golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, stir in lemon zest, and bring back up to heat without boiling.
- In a small bowl, toss crab with lemon juice and minced chives.
- Put an equal mound of crab mixture in the center of each of 4 soup bowls, then ladle soup around crab.
- Garnish with chopped chives.