A creamy carrot soup garnished with Dungeness crabmeat. (Use fresh crab for best results, but canned (and some kind other than Dungeness) can be used).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb carrot, sliced (no need to peel)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons white rice (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 ounces crabmeat (from a 1 1/2 lb. Dungeness crab, cooked and shelled)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- chives, chopped (for garnishing)
- 1In a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- 2Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, black pepper and cumin. Cook, stirring, until onions are light golden, about 6 minutes.
- 3Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- 4Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, stir in lemon zest, and bring back up to heat without boiling.
- 5In a small bowl, toss crab with lemon juice and minced chives.
- 6Put an equal mound of crab mixture in the center of each of 4 soup bowls, then ladle soup around crab.
- 7Garnish with chopped chives.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dungeness Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.7
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 36.9 mg
- Sodium 1018.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 9.7 g