Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Time Life: Cooking of the British Isles
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb butter (two sticks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 3⁄4 cup seedless raisin
- 3⁄4 cup mixed candied fruit peel (coarsely chopped)
- 8 candied cherries, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (pulverized)
- 2 tablespoons orange peel (finely grated)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond (cut in half)
- Mix one tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp of milk together; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Coat bottom and sides of 8x3 springform pan with 1 tbsp of melted butter.
- Sprinkle with 2 tbsp of flour, tip to spread evenly, and tap out extra.
- In large mixing bowl cream 1/2 lb butter and sugar together by bashing and beating against side of bowl with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Beat in one egg then 1/2 cup flour alternately until all eggs and flour are added.
- Beat in currants, raisins, candied peel, cherries, pulverized almonds, grated peel and salt until combined.
- Stir in milk/baking soda mixture.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Arrange blanched almonds on top.
- Bake on middle rack for 1 1/2 hours or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 4-5 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to finish cooling before serving.