Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
My favourite Christmas cake recipe
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3⁄4 cups sultanas
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup glace cherries, halved
- 3⁄4 cup chopped mixed peel
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons brandy
For the topping
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Grease a deep 8 inch round cake tine, line base and sides with greaseproof paper and then grease the paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and the spices together and fold into the creamed mixture alternately with the remaining ingredients, until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon into prepared tin, smooth surface, making a small dip in the centre.
- Decorate top of cake mixture by pressing almonds in decreasing circles over the entire surface.
- Bake for 2-21/4, or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool in tin for 30 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- *Flavourwill improve if left in a cool place for up to 3 months.
- Wrap in double layer of foil.
What a lovely cake! This is a gorgeous cake when completed (see photo once it appears) and is quite delicious. Everyone loved this cake and asked for second helpings. This made a great finish to my holiday meal. Thnaks for sharing this family treasure!