Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It's a mouthful to say, but what a combination! It's a little more fussing than I normally prefer to do with desserts, but this one is worth the effort. Very moist and tasty.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) container cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄2 cup seedless red raspberry jam
- 2 (16 ounce) containers chocolate frosting
- fresh raspberry
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Blend cake mix, water, oil, eggs and 1 cup sour cream in large bowl. Beat at low speed until moistened, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into pans and bake according to package directions.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on serving platter. Spread 3/4 cup cream cheese frosting on top of layer. Spread jam on top of cream cheese frosting. Top with remaining layer of cake. Frost top and sides of cake with chocolate frosting.
- To prepare sauce, blend remaining cream cheese frosting and 1 cup sour cream in small bowl until smooth and creamy. Garnish top of frosted cake with 2-3 tbsp of sauce in center and fresh rasperries. Place 2 tablespoons sauce on center of each serving plate and top with slice of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.
Great Recipe! For those of you who found it difficult to put the layers together due to the jam slipping try mixing the jam with the cream cheese frosting first. I also poke holes in my layers so that some of the moisture from the filling can seep into the cake. Works wonderfully! Thanks for the recipe it is a keeper:)
This was great. Putting the two cakes together was a disaster. I think next time i will put the jam on the cake then freeze it and maybe do the same with cream cheese too. I also cute a straw and stuck it in the cake to keep them from sliding off. I also used strawberry preserves just cause thats what i had. Very yummy.
one thing this recipe proved is that im horrible at making layer cakes lol! despite my difficulties trying to get the top layer to stay on to frost the entire cake in chocolate frosting this was a very easy cake to make. I hate premade cream cheese frosting so i made my own with 4 oz cream cheese, 3 tbsp butter and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar - if your jam was in the fridge prior to trying to spread i suggest scooping it out and mixing well before trying to spread so you dont end up with big lumps of jam in some spots. I didnt put raspberrys on top because my dad didnt bother grabbing any. Very moist and rich, i could only eat a small slice. Chocolate, cream cheese and raspberry - whats not to like!