Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
Very easy to make. Adds a very tasty and filling component to any soup. Extra soup keeps well.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 packet soup stock
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine, very soft
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Mix ingredients together, add enough flour to make it the consistency of thick ketchup.
- To make dumplings, dip a spoon into soup that is softly boiling for a second.
- Then scoop a small amount of dumpling and dunk it in the soup.
- The dumpling will immediately fall off the spoon and plump up.
- Repeat until dumpling mix is gone.
- Cook in a stock, and throw in some vegetables.
- Suggested: chicken stock with celery, lots of carrots, some onion, and a bit of rosemary.
A very easy, but nice way to make dumblings, that just might encourage the new cook to put away the can opener for awhile.
12/14/08: I added a little baking powder to the recipe to make them fluffy. These were delicious! Thank you Kat. 12/20/08: Much better when I followed the recipe. Thank you again!
Excellent dumplings I have made several times now. Think I am addicted! When I didn't have a packet of soup stock,I used 2 or 3 teaspoons beef (or chicken) soup base mix and reduced the salt. I have also cooked the dumplings separately in broth or water. Then I place some dumplings in each soup bowl, then ladel hot soup on top. Yummy.Thanks for a 'keeper' Kat.