Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Dumplings used to be an American stand by. They have been used from New England to the Pacific by people helping to build our country. This is a very easy to prepare.
- Mix dry ingredients and cut in Crisco, using a pastry blender, until the mixture is coarse and grainy.
- Add milk. Do not overmix.
- It should only take a few turns to get a dough.
- Drop by large spoonsfuls on top of simmering stew or a very thick soup.
- Simmer 5 minutes with the lid off the pot and then cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately.
I don't know if I did something wrong, but most of my dumplings came out chewy. Does the consistency of the broth make a difference (mine was a little thick)? Also, it doesn't say when to add the milk, so I added it after I cut in the shortening. I'll try again some time.
Am I blind? When do we add the milk?
very good, easy and quick, put over hot chicken soup for a wonderful meal. kids couldn't get enough!