Recipe by caramel
not a fruit cake!!its so good. my gran who is scottish gave me the recipe. i am the only one in the family to make it. it is really good and hearty. comfort food.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped suet or 1⁄2 cup shortening (i use shortening)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 apple, with skin grated
- 1 carrot, with skin grated
- water, as needed (1/2c. more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- bring a large pot of water to boil (keep a plate at bottom of pot to prevent burning) mix flour,salt,baking soda,sugar,cinnamon.
- mix in shortening until crumbs form.
- add raisins,currants,grated apple and carrot.
- blend well.
- add water bit at a time until sticky dough forms.
- use a large cloth (i use an old pillow case) and dip the center of it in the water and wring out excess water.
- lightly flour this surface.
- dump dough onto surface and gather sides leaving a bit of room for expansion.
- tie bundle together tightly with some string or something.
- place into boiling water and boil for a minimum of 2 hours.
- (check every so often if water has receeded too much may have to top off with some boiling water) after boiled take dumpling (it won't seem cooked because its very wet but its fine) and place into a small roaster and bake at 350* just until browned and dried a bit.
- not long.
- after cooled, slice and serve with whipped cream, canned cream or a brown sugar sauce.