Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Easy to turn this into a low-sodium recipe simply use reduced-sodium or sodium-free canned ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons garlic oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb sausage, spicy or mild
- 28 fluid ounces tomato puree
- 6 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 6 fluid ounces red wine (not cooking wine)
- 14 fluid ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sauté the garlic in olive oil, add the carrots, celery and onion and continue sautéing until lightly colored.
- Add the meat and brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer everything together, covered, for 2 hours or so.
- Taste the stuff after about an hour and adjust seasonings to taste.