Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I had a couple of cans of beef broth and some meatballs and this is what I came up with. It is so simple but yet so good.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans water
- 1 (10 ounce) packagethawed peas and carrots
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup leftover cooked rice (may use cooked barley if desired)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Over medium heat in a large Dutch oven, “dump" all ingredients and simmer until meatballs and veggies are heated through.
- Takes about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with hot crusty rolls and fruit if desired.
Made this last night for dinner. Everyone ate so that was a good sign! I used three bouillan cubes (reduced sodium kind) and water since I didn't have canned beef broth. I also added about 6oz of tomato sauce for color & flavor. I did not pre-cook my barley, just added it the other ingredients. Obviously that increased my cooking time but that worked for me. This receipe is pretty forgiving so adjust liquids until you get the consistency your family likes.
I have made this soup a few times, but have neglected to rate it. My family thinks it is good, especially on cold days. My dd #2, certainly like it, as she had several bowls. My dh declared is good. I did add a can of tomatoes - after all, it is soup.