Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
The theory is you dump this in a bag and freeze to pull out later. There are many variations which I will post separately but it's amazingly easy to make these up and have a different "dump" chicken every week!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces (4-6 pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 whole apple, cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diced
- For immediate cooking: Pre-heat oven to 350°F Place all ingredients into a large baking dish, turn chicken to coat.
- Bake until chicken juices run clear (45-60 minutes for chicken pieces, or 20-30 minutes for chicken. breasts).
- For freezing: Place all ingredients into a 1 Gallon freezer bag.
- Lay flat in freezer.
- To thaw and cook: Take the bag out of the freezer the night before, make sure the baggie is completely closed.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator to thaw.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Empty the contents of the bag into a large baking dish and bake until the juices run clear (45-60 minutes for chicken pieces, or 20-30 minutes for chicken breasts).
From the reviews previously I was a little afraid to give this recipe a try. However I decided I maybe could change it up a little to give it more flavor. So here is what I did: Instead of the apple pieces, I substituted 1 cup of apple butter spread. In place of the green onions, I added 1/2 of a small chopped onion and omitted the chicken bouillon altogether. The juices from the chicken blended well with the applebutter and onion and it browned nicely in the oven. Much more flavorful. Next time I am going to add a few red pepper flakes for some kick.
Not out of this world awesome but not bad either. I used 3 apples and I did peel them. Chicken was very moist but just didn't have a lot of flavor. May try it again and add some brown sugar and some butter to it.
This was okay. I wish I had peeled that apples and that there were more apples. Only DD ate the apples b/c of the weird texture of the peel after baking. The chicken itself was nice and moist and flavorful though.