Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This wonderfully fragrant meat free recipe is delicious on its own or as a side dish.
Make and share this Dum Aloo (Indian Potatoes) recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces new potatoes
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint, crumbled to a powder
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- Prick the potatoes with a fork and set on one side.
- Heat the oil in the deep-fat fryer or pan until hot. Fry the potatoes in batches until crisp and golden. They don't need to be completely cooked at this stage. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the hot oil in another saucepan and add the tomato paste. Cook until the oil separates, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking.
- Add the ground spices and crumbled dried mint, reserving a pinch for the garnish. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour in the hot water, cover tightly and cook over a low heat for about 5-7 minutes until the potatoes are tender. The steam in the pan will cook the potatoes.
- Serve warm, dusted with the reserved mint.