Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 medium squash or 1 small pumpkin, about 2 lbs organic if possible
- 1 lb panela sugar cane or 1 lb brown sugar, broken into chunks
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 3 all spice bell peppers
- 3 cups water
- fresh cheese slices, can use quesillo or queso fresco or fresh mozzarella cheese
- Wash the squash well, slice it open and remove all the seeds and membranes.
- Cut the squash into medium sized pieces and place them in a large pot with the chunks of panela and spices.
- Add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat, boil for about 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Uncover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the syrup thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve warm with a slice of fresh cheese.