Recipe by EmJoMay
I found this on an Ice Cream Recipe Exchange site. Find the original at http://frozentreats.blogspot.com/2008/09/dulce-de-leche.html. I made the Dulce de leche posted on the site (I posted it on Recipezaar too). Cook time is freeze time. I posted the directions for both firm dulce de leche and pourable dulce de leche. If you're making your own dulce de leche, reserve the 1 2/3 cups while it's still "liquid-y" and cook the rest as desired.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb dulce de leche (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- With firm dulce de leche:.
- Bring milk and cream just to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat and whisk in dulce de leche until dissolved.
- Whisk in vanilla and transfer to a metal bowl.
- Chill and churn in ice cream maker as directed.
- With pourable dulce de leche (not cooked as long):
- Mix milk and cream in large bowl.
- Whisk in dulce de leche until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to ice cream maker and churn as directed.