1/2 Photos of Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
2 hrs 30 mins
Get out your ice cream machines for this one!! 2 cans of sweetened, condensed milk (not evaporated milk) are caramelized, and half of the mixture is stirred into a custard base. When the custard is almost frozen, the rest of the caramel is dropped in ribbons into the ice cream as it continues to churn in the ice-cream maker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place sweetened, condensed milk into the top of a double boiler. Cook over simmering water for 1½ to 2 hours, stirring every five minutes, until a golden caramel color. Chill half of mixture. Cool the other half to room temperature.
- 2Heat 2 cups of milk almost to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Whisk eggs in a bowl. Slowly pour about one half cup hot milk into eggs, whisking rapidly to prevent eggs from cooking. Whisk eggs into remaining milk in saucepan. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until custard thickens. It should heavily coat a spoon. Do not allow custard to boil.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in the room-temperature caramel, add the remaining 1 cup milk and the vanilla. Refrigerate overnight or until very cold.
- 4Pour ice cream base into an ice-cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. When ice cream is thick and almost done, dollop in chilled caramel into mixture, allowing it to drip in ribbons from a spoon. Continue processing until done. Freeze if you can wait! Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.9
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 244.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 78.2 g
- Protein 16.4 g