1 hr 8 mins
This is soooo good! I got this recipe from an Ice Cream Recipe Exchange site. Find the original at http://frozentreats.blogspot.com/2008/09/dulce-de-leche.html. I initially made it for Dulce de leche Ice Cream, but I cooked the left over part into candy. I didn't have any whole milk, so I subbed 2% and half and half and I used 1 tsp pure vanilla extract instead of the vanilla bean. My husband loved the texture and taste! Haven't made the ice cream yet, but this is the best Dulce de leche I've ever had! Cook time varies depending on desired consistency.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large, heavy pan with tall sides (I'd recommend a stock pot), combine the milk and sugar.
- 2Split the vanilla bean along its length and scrape the seeds into the pot, then throw in the pod. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- 3When it has reached a simmer, remove from the heat and add the baking soda and water, stirring vigorously.
- 4When the mixture settles down, return the pan to the heat and bring to a brisk simmer.
- 5Simmer for about one hour, or until it turns golden brown. You don't have to stir constantly. I worked around the kitchen and stirred it every once in a while.
- 6After the milk mixture has changed to a deep golden brown check it more frequently. This is where you can decide just how dense and thick you want it to be.
- 7If you want it pourable, like caramel sauce, wait just until it reaches the consistency of maple syrup - about 20 minutes after the color change - and take it off the heat.
- 8Strain through a mesh strainer into a glass jar or container and let cool. To make the ice cream, I removed the amount the recipe called for at this stage.
- 9If you prefer a jam-like consistency to spread on toast, crackers, and anything else you can think of, let it cook longer.
- 10To make the candy, keep simmering and stir the mixture constantly.
- 11Once it's the consistency you want, remove from heat.
- 12Let it cool a bit and then mold it into whatever shapes you'd like.
- 13Cool candy on wax paper.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dulce De Leche (From Scratch!)
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.6
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 276.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 49.9 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: