Recipe by ** Poppy **
Delicious caramel vanilla cheesecake, one of my favourites. I found this recipe in an Australian newspaper many years ago.
Top Review by LadyRatri
I used this as topping on top of a dense cake similar to brownies. It was great. The flavor is fairly delicate. When making the sauce, either use a very wide and shallow saucepan, or you will need to cook it for much longer. I had to simmer mine over 90 minutes to reduce it near 2 cups, and it still wasn't quite reduced enough.
Dulce De Leche
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dulce de leche
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE Combine ingredients in a large heavy saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and cook without stirring until mixture boils, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Briefly remove from heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- When mixture becomes a caramel color and is think enough that you can see the bottom of the pan as you stir, remove it from heat.
- Use at room temperature or cover and refrigerate.
- Yield: 2 cups CHEESECAKE Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place cream cheese in food processor and process until soft.
- With Machine running, drop in eggs, followed by heavy cream, vanilla then dulce de leche.
- Place mixture in 9 inch pie dish.
- Put dish in a large pan and add hot water until it comes halfway up the side of pie dish.
- Place in oven and bake about an hour or until cake tester comes out clean and top is fairly firm.
- Let rest one hour, then serve at once, or refrigerate, but remove from refrigerator one half- hour before serving.