Prep 20 mins
Cook 38 mins
Heaven in a pan...from The Cookie Cookbook. Edited 2-3-08 to add using foil and greasing the foil, or use non stick foil to line the pan, and to GENTLY SPOON the caramel mixture onto the bottom layer.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Foil AND grease (or use non-stick foil) a 13x9 baking pan. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth. Gradually stir in flour mixture Spread half of batter in prepared pan. Bake 8 minues; cool 5 minutes on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt caramels and evaporated milk in nonstick saucepan over very low heat. Reserving 2 tablespoonfuls for drizzle, GENTLY SPOON remaining caramel mixture over baked layer in pan. Drop tablespoonfuls of remaining batter over caramel layer, swirl slightly with knife.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares. Reheat reserved caramel, if necessary; drizzle over bars.
5 stars for the squeals of happiness from my daughter when she tried these (she thinks I should open up my own bakery and sell these!!) I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but will tonight. Had no trouble removing them after spraying my 9X13 glass baking dish (no foil). I also didn't have a full 14-oz bag of caramels (maybe 3/4 of a bag), so I reduced the evaporated milk (used fat-free) to about 1/3 cup. Will put this recipe in my collection so I can make again! Thanks for the recipe!
The foil worked wonderfully. My blondies were easy to cut and serve after I put them in the fridge overnight. My BF loved them. I can't wait to share these with my friends.
Oh my but these are so oooy and gooey. I agree with the previous reviewer about making sure the foil is sprayed really really well. I didn't have a problem, but you need to make sure. These are so sinful Recipe...but oh so good. A definitely must for caramel lovers. And not for those watching calories/fat.... Made for Spring PAC 08'