Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Oatmeal-Caramel Bars. My husband loves these (and he is not a dessert eater!) Very yummy and better if you make ahead and serve 1 or 2 days later.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) cannestle dulce de leche (if you can't find the nestle dulce de leche can I have substituted regular sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 cup toffee pieces
- Preheat over to 350. In a big bowl mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and salt. Cut in softened butter with pastry blender until crumbly. Save out 1 cup of mixture, press rest in a 13x9 pan. Do not grease the pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Empty dulce de leche into microwave bowl. Heat dulce de leche in microwave on medium power until it is soft enough to spread. 2-4 minutes total- I microwave for 45 seconds, stir, then zap again on med power.
- Spread dulce de leche over baked crust. Sprinkle toffee bits and the 1 cup of oats mixture over that. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen. Cool completely another 30 minutes. Makes 32 bars.
These are great! I made a few changes: barley flour instead of all-purpose and reducing the butter to about 2/3 cup. I used old-fashioned/slow cooking oatmeal. I only sprinkled the toffee pieces (Skor bits) on half of the pan and both sides were equally good. I sprayed the pan (Pampered Chef 9x13 stoneware) with Pam because I reduced the butter.
Amazing! They look and taste like they took much more effort to make than they did. The only change I made was to use dulce de leche that I made by filling my pressure cooker with water, putting the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in, and cooking under pressure for 20 minutes. I'll be making this again, thank you!
Soooo good BUT soooo rich!!! Made this for Christmas day and it was liked by all. I made this as written with the nestle dulce de leche. WOW!!