Recipe by Twinsfan5
Oatmeal-Caramel Bars. My husband loves these (and he is not a dessert eater!) Very yummy and better if you make ahead and serve 1 or 2 days later.
Top Review by Lille
These are great! I made a few changes: barley flour instead of all-purpose and reducing the butter to about 2/3 cup. I used old-fashioned/slow cooking oatmeal. I only sprinkled the toffee pieces (Skor bits) on half of the pan and both sides were equally good. I sprayed the pan (Pampered Chef 9x13 stoneware) with Pam because I reduced the butter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) cannestle dulce de leche (if you can't find the nestle dulce de leche can I have substituted regular sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 cup toffee pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350. In a big bowl mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and salt. Cut in softened butter with pastry blender until crumbly. Save out 1 cup of mixture, press rest in a 13x9 pan. Do not grease the pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Empty dulce de leche into microwave bowl. Heat dulce de leche in microwave on medium power until it is soft enough to spread. 2-4 minutes total- I microwave for 45 seconds, stir, then zap again on med power.
- Spread dulce de leche over baked crust. Sprinkle toffee bits and the 1 cup of oats mixture over that. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen. Cool completely another 30 minutes. Makes 32 bars.