Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rich, gooey, caramel bars. Found in the Pillsbury November,2006 Holiday Baking booklet. *Caramelized sweetened condensed milk is known as Dulce de leche and can be found in the baking section next to the sweetened condensed milk. May also be found in the ethnic Mexican section. Brand name is Nestle's La Lechera Dulce de Leche.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press 3/4 of mixture in 13X9 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes.
- In 1 quart saucepan, heat dulce de leche over low heat 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spread dulce de leche over partially baked crust. Sprinkle evenly with toffee bits, pecans and remaining crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen bars. Cool completely, about 1 hour. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.
- *Dulce de leche is caramelized sweetened condensed milk and can be found in the baking section next to the sweetened condensed milk. May also be found in the ethnic Mexican section. Brand name is Nestle La Lechera Dulce de Leche.
Tasty cookie bars! I couldn't find the dulce de leche so I used regular sweetened condensed milk with good results. Next time (there will be one!) I will make sure to look harder for it though.