Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Who doesn't love Dulce de Leche? The stuff is wonderful and when it's married to whipped cream and bananas it's even more addicting. Dulce de Leche is also very easy to make. There are several good methods here on Recipezaar such as this slow cooker method Slow Cooker Dulce De Leche, or this oven method Dulce De Leche, or the method used here. This dessert is similar to the Scottish Banoffee Pie (or cake).
- Remove the label from UNOPENED can of sweetened condensed milk, place it in a sauce pot, cover the can completely with water and boil for a minimum of two hours with a lid on the pot. Check from time to time and add water as needed to keep the can completely covered with boiling water.
- DO NOT OPEN THE HOT CAN!
- After boiling for a minimum of two hours, remove the pot from heat and place it in the sink, add cold water to the pot to stop the boiling process. Let the tap run so the hot water spills out of the pan and is replaced with cold tap water. Leave the can to cool.
- Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until it is light and fluffy. Set in refrigerator.
- When the can is cool enough to handle, carefully open and spread the Dulce de Leche over the bottom of the crust.
- Add a layer of sliced bananas over the Dulce de Leche.
- Then spread on a layer of whipped cream -- then another layer of sliced bananas. Then add the final layer of whipped cream.
- Dust the top with cocoa powder, chocolate curls, or crushed toffee.
- This is very rich and will serve several people--but you might not want to share! It's that good.