Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Egg bread,bittersweet chocolate and an intense caramel sauce combine to make this the ultimate comfort dessert! Be sure to start this recipe ahead of time, as it takes about half an hour for the custard to soak into the bread. From the March 2008 issue of Bon Appetit magazine.
- 8 slices egg bread (about 4x5 inch slices,crusts trimmed, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup dulce de leche, topping plus more or 1 cup butterscotch caramel sauce, plus more
- dulce de leche, topping for serving or 1 cup butterscotch caramel sauce, for serving
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (about 3 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in large bowl and drizzle with 3 tablespoonfuls melted butter; toss.
- Transfer to rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until bread begings to color,stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes; cool.
- Brush a 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Stir whipping cream and 1 cup dulce de leche in medium saucepan over medium heat until blended and bubbling.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs and yolks in large bowl.
- Add rum,vanilla and salt; gradually whisk in warm dulce de leche mixture.
- Stir in bread cubes and let soak 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix chocolate chips into custard/bread mixture.
- Pour into prepared dish and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake pudding until puffed and set in center, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm, passing more dulce de leche sauce alongside.