Recipe by Lainey39
This is a typical sweet from Argentina. It can be used to fill cakes, serve over bananas, ice-cream or any other dessert.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth.
- Return to pan.
- Cut vanilla bean in half and pour the seeds in the milk.
- Stir in the sugar and replace the pan on medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Just as the milk mixture begins to boil, stir in the baking soda.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. When a wooden spoon drawn through the mixture leaves the bottom of the pan visible, and the mixture is light brown in color, remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the pan in an ice bath and stir constantly until dulce de leche is cold.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Pour into sterile jars, and store in the refrigerator.