Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A great filling for any type of cake.
- Place the milk in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and allow skin to form on top.
- Do not stir.
- The skin will thicken and puff up.
- Reduce heat to medium and remove the skin.
- Increase heat to medium-high and repeat the process 3 times.
- Add the sugar and vanilla bean, and stir until the sugar has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the baking soda.
- Simmer milk, stirring often, but taking care not to break the film of cooked milk forming, on the inside of the pan.
- Simmer, skimming the foam (not skin) until reduced by half, about 1 hour.
- Reduce the heat to very low and simmer for another 3 and 1/2 hours, stirring and skimming foam occasionally.
- The mixture will brown as it cooks.
- Strain the completely cooked mixture through a sieve into a bowl, cover and refrigerate.