Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This the authentic recipe from my Argentinan friend - its not boiled evaporated milk - which is not truly Dulce De Leche. Can be used as a biscuit filling, butterfly cakes, cheesecakes, or stired through icecream
- 2 liters milk, fullcream
- 800 g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Combine all ingredients in a large heavybase saucepan & stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1.5 hours stiring every 15 minutes. Skim off any foam that is on the surface
- The mix should have thickened and changed colour.
- For the next hour stir the mix every 5 minutes. A thin caramel will form as the time passes.
- For the last 30 minutes stir constantly. The caramel should be as thick as jam when a teaspoon of it is left in the fridge for 2 minutes.
- Continue to cook until this consistency is reached.
- Strain through a sieve and cool.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.