Recipe by LaLa
Passed on to me from my best friend's dad who is Cuban. An authentic dessert that's light but decadent.
Top Review by apples_for_eva
I greased the pan and still couldn't get the cake out. It doesn't say what size "cookie sheet." I assumed one with sides on it, not a flat one. "Fluffy" was a little vauge for me- stiff peaks, or foamy? Because I must say, I went with foamy and that didn't work out. It doesn't say what size can of condensed milk, either. It needs to be more specific, all around.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 7 teaspoons self-rising flour
- 7 teaspoons sugar
- 1 dash vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 dash sweet vermouth
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites until fluffy.
- Add sugar, flour and egg yolks, beat 3-4 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Pour batter onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven 7-10 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto damp cheese cloth and roll up.
- Wait to cool, then unroll.
- Pour 1 can Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk into double-boiler pan; cover.
- Place over boiling water, cook over water, stirring occasionally, for 60 to 75 minutes, or until thick and light caramel.
- Remove from heat, beat until smooth with dash of vermouth (make sure consistency is thick).
- Let caramel (dulce de leche) cool COMPLETELY, place in refrigerator to cool.
- Spread dulce de leche on unrolled cake, then roll again.