Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an imitation of the real thing, which can be had at Duke's Canoe Club on Oahu. My family always makes it a point to grab a huge slice (each) of this! Adaptation from Lynn & Rick Carlton.
- 4 ounces chocolate fudge topping
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream (vanilla bean works best)
- 6 ounces macadamia nuts
- 1 chocolate cookie pie crust
- Bring topping to room temperature.
- Crush macadamia nuts.
- Scoop ice cream into bowl and mix in crushed macadamia nuts.
- Scoop ice cream into pie shell, smoothing into mound (it needs to be a ridiculous 6-8" high at center).
- Warm a bit of milk and use it to dilute the chocolate topping, then use a warmed knife to spread chocolate topping over mounded ice cream.
- Place in freezer until ready to serve.
- HINT: Cover top of pie with whipped cream design before serving.
Easy,quick and what a hit!
Having just returned from Kauai, were we fell in love with Duke's Hula Pie, I was happy to find this recipe. Hula Pie is as described in the recipe. To make the chocolate cookie pie crust, I used 2 1/2 cups of crushed Oreos mixed with 2 1/2 ounces of melted butter then pressed into a pie pan. Enjoy!