This recipe is a cross between a donut and a muffin. Baked, not fried, using wholesome ingredients, it is actually a smart start to your day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour or 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Line 2 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. Spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- 3Combine butter and applesauce.
- 4Add sugar and beat for 1-2 minutes, until fully incorporated.
- 5Beat in egg whites and whole egg for another 2 minutes.
- 6Mix in vanilla and buttermilk.
- 7Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda until combined. Be careful not to overmix when adding the dry ingredients or muffins will be tough.
- 8Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, about two thirds full.
- 9Bake muffins for 13-15 minutes, or until batter starts to pull away from the liners and tops spring back when poked.
- 10While muffins are baking, mix 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- 11Sprinkle tops of muffins with cinnamon sugar right after removing them from the oven.
- 12Cool for 2 minutes in pan, then remove to cooling rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "duffins" (Donut Muffins)
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.3
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 13.2 mg
- Sodium 135.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 2.9 g