Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
National Antiguan Dish (caribbean)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 dash allspice
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 sweet potatoes (large)
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- Preparations for making Ducuna. First grate.the sweet potatoes and add sugar. Leave for a while it will spring water from mixture so. You do not have to add water at anytime.
- Add spices and raisin, mix in the flour. You may proceed to add a little bit of water, if the mixture seems to be too watery add a bit more flour.
- Spoon some of mixture in the foil paper. You maybe able to make about 5 individual Ducuna from the above recipe.
- Wrap the Ducuna and place right into boiling water and boil for 45 minutes until they are firm. It will be hot. Carefully unwrap and enjoy.
The flavour was pretty carrot muffin like, while the texture was like a very dense and dry carrot cake. I used all the optional ingredients and orange sweet potatoes. For the sugar I used raw cane sugar and I used my own gluten free flour mixture. I did a little research and found this is usually eaten with salt fish so I sprinkled them with a good amount of sea salt. Because they were dry I felt they needed some fat, butter would have been good but we are dairy free. After adding a little dripping of canola oil and the salt I would rate them up from 2 stars to 3. I did not even try to serve them to DH. This is not something I would make again. Photo posted. Made for ZWT5 For Cooks With Dirty Faces.