Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A wonderful way to prepare duck posted in response to a recipe request.
- 2 ducks, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic
- 2 apples, quartered
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices salt pork, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups canned sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season ducks with mixture of paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
- Divide apples and onions and stuff half into bird cavities and place other half in bottom of baking pan.
- Cover breasts with uncooked bacon and place into baking pan with melted butter and water.
- Place pan in preheated oven; bake 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Combine sauerkraut, caraway seeds, and crumbled bacon in casserole dish.
- Mix well.
- Place in oven 20 minutes before ducks are done.
- Quarter cooked ducks and serve on sauerkraut.