Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
(Crispy Deep-Fried Duck Marinated in Nepali Spices)
Make and share this Duck Tareko (Crispy Deep-Fried Duck Marinated in Nepali Spices) recipe from Food.com.
- 5 -6 lbs whole duck, cleaned and washed
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper (timur)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper
- oil (for deep frying)
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, ginger, garlic, timur, nutmeg, half teaspoon of turmeric, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Clean duck; wipe dry.
- Rub duck inside and out with the spice mixture.
- Let rest to marinate for at least eight hours.
- Place marinated duck in a steamer and steam for at least one hour.
- Remove from steamer and let cool down.
- Combine a half teaspoon of turmeric, chili paste, molasses, honey and salt, and smother over the duck, inside and out.
- In a deep fryer heat oil to 360F.
- Dip the steamed duck in frying oil.
- Fry duck, turning periodically, until the duck skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- To serve, cut crispy duck into bite-size pieces.
- Serve with rice pilaf, accompanied with mango chutney.
Great duck recipe that results in a rich moist meat with spice and crispiness on the outside. Just delicious!
Oustanding and this was great served along with a rice pilaf as you suggested although I used a different variety of chutney. It was the first time I've tried steaming a duck followed by frying, the steaming left plenty of moisture while letting a lot of fat drain leaving the meat really moist but not fatty inside. The final step of frying left the skin wonderfully crisp.
This is so tasty! We were searching for a new way to serve canned mock duck and found this. Used the marinade, then deep-fried and served over ginger-spring onion rice noodles. Thanks for a great recipe.