- 5 -6 lbs whole duck, cleaned and washed
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper (timur)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, ginger, garlic, timur, nutmeg, half teaspoon of turmeric, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Clean duck; wipe dry.
- Rub duck inside and out with the spice mixture.
- Let rest to marinate for at least eight hours.
- Place marinated duck in a steamer and steam for at least one hour.
- Remove from steamer and let cool down.
- Combine a half teaspoon of turmeric, chili paste, molasses, honey and salt, and smother over the duck, inside and out.
- In a deep fryer heat oil to 360F.
- Dip the steamed duck in frying oil.
- Fry duck, turning periodically, until the duck skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- To serve, cut crispy duck into bite-size pieces.
- Serve with rice pilaf, accompanied with mango chutney.