Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A take off of Vietnamese fresh spring rolls that are little self-contained salads-to-go -- crisp raw veggies and lots of minced fresh herbs, along with cooked shrimp, pork, fried tofu but in this recipeI used ingredients called for in the RSC contest all neatly wrapped up in a deliciously chewy-soft, rice paper that you eat with your hands. They’re delicious, refreshingly cool, and fun to make as a group so each can place what they want into them. Perfect for a light summer meal, or hors-d’oeuvre. Being posted for the RSC contest. Which you needed to use the ingredients posted in the contest to make the recipe. Can be double very easily. Is served with 2 sauces both very different from each other and each complementing the duck. Rice paper rounds and rice vermicelli that are two of the essentials for this recipe so go ahead a alter this to add the vermicelli. Bean threads/bean vermicelli can be used in it's place.
- 6 spring roll wrappers (wrappers)
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 basil leaves
- 6 cilantro leaves
- 6 slices zucchini, thinly sliced on a mandolin paper 2 x 4, steamed till tender
- 6 slices sweet potatoes, sliced on a mandolin paper thin 2 x 4, steamed till tender
- 2 -3 ounces cooked duck, sliced thinly into 6 portions
Rhubarb Cherry sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄4 cup cherry preserves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon sliced scallion
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1 Thai peppers, diced finely (use as much or little as you like)
- Heat in a saucepan all Rhubarb Cherry sauce ingredients for 5-10 minutes till rhubarb is tender.
- With a hand blender blend till smooth.
- Place in a small bowl garnished with scallions.
- Set aside.
- Heat all peanut sauce ingredients till blended about 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Place in small bowl and garnish with peppers.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl of room temperature water soak spring rolls to soften.
- Lay them on work surface place on each herbs following with rest of ingredients off center.
- Then roll, bring sides in, then roll to seal.
- Like you would do an egg roll.(The rice paper rounds are delicate once they’re soaked and softened for use, so be prepared to tear a few in the process of wrapping before you really get the hang of it. Once you’ve figured out exactly how much filling your wrappers can handle, however, making the rolls will be easy.).
- Slice each in half on an angle, place the spring rolls cut side up.
- Serving along with sauces.
These were GREAT! I grew up in Hawaii so I KNOW these are great! I just made the peanut sauce as I prefer it but will try the rhubarb cherry sauce next time. Thanks! Oh yeah, I personally never liked cilantro so I just left them out & always loved mint leaves with so went with that.
I hate to give a recipe such a low rating as itâ€™s first review, especially as I think it was probably good for what it was. I just didnâ€™t especially enjoy this, just personal taste. The rolls actually turned out quite a bit like ones I had at a good Thai restaurant awhile back, unfortunately I didn't care for those either (thought it was just the combination of cilantro and mint that I didn't care for, so I tried theses anyway). The zucchini, sweet potato, and duck complimented each other nicely. It seemed like the herbs should have added to it, especially the sage, but I've never had this particular combination of herbs before, and maybe that was the problem. If I ever make these again, I think I would try something else in place of the cilantro or just leave it out and see how that turned out. The peanut sauce didnâ€™t really work for me, but that might just have been me not being used to the stove in my new apartment yet. It burns very easily. I tried twice and I think still overcooked it the 2nd time, then it cooled by the time I finished making the wraps and it hardened and didn't really work as a dip. Sorry. Itâ€™s too bad DH & DS were out of town, so itâ€™s just my opinion this time. Someone else to try it, and I bet we would have averaged out to more stars.