Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
When my ferrets get sick or are recovering from surgery, I use this "formula" to get them back on their little feet.
- 1 (8 ounce) canready-to-use infant formula (High Protein kind) or 1 (8 ounce) can vanilla ensure (High Protein kind)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cat food or 1⁄2 cup ferret food, dry
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- Soak dry food in 1/2 cup water and soften it completely.
- When dry food is soft, mash with a fork and mix all ingredients in a 2 quart jar and shake thouroughly. Sometimes I microwave it to the temperature of baby formula.
- Serve about 4 fluid ounces at a time twice daily for maintenance.
- If your little guys are eating too much and you feel they are getting fat, you can increase the amount of water. I have tried increasing the amount of dry food, but if it gets too thick some of them won't eat it.
- This formula also freezes well as the Sustacal must be used within 48 hours if left only in the fridge.
Great recipe... but never give your ferrets dairy products... It will make things worse as they get diarhea from it.
Nice to meet another ferret owner. I have 3, myself..Hense....'carpetsharkmom. I haven't tried this recipe yet, on my ferrets, but I'm glad that I found it for when they might need it. Thanks, Bippie.