Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
if you enjoy canning try this recipe for duck sauce. it yeilds 8 cups, and is easy to make when the plums and apricots are in season.
- 1 lb plum, halved and pitted
- 1 lb apricot, halved and pitted
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped (or more)
- 2 small garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Combine plums, apricots, cider vinegar and water. Cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Combine the cider vinegar, brown sugar, white sugar and lemon juice. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Combine the chopped ginger, onion, pepper, garlic cloves, salt, mustard seed and cinnamon stick.
- Combine the above three sets of ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove cinnamon.
- Puree in food processor. Return to kettle and simmer until thick.
- Transfer to sterilized mason jars, cap loosely and let cool.
- Tighten caps and let stand in dark at least 2 weeks.