1 hr 20 mins
if you enjoy canning try this recipe for duck sauce. it yeilds 8 cups, and is easy to make when the plums and apricots are in season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb plum, halved and pitted
- 1 lb apricot, halved and pitted
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped (or more)
- 2 small garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1Combine plums, apricots, cider vinegar and water. Cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 2Combine the cider vinegar, brown sugar, white sugar and lemon juice. Boil for 10 minutes.
- 3Combine the chopped ginger, onion, pepper, garlic cloves, salt, mustard seed and cinnamon stick.
- 4Combine the above three sets of ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove cinnamon.
- 5Puree in food processor. Return to kettle and simmer until thick.
- 6Transfer to sterilized mason jars, cap loosely and let cool.
- 7Tighten caps and let stand in dark at least 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Sauce - from Scratch
Serving Size: 1 (2304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.7
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1178.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 63.5 g
- Protein 1.8 g