1/2 Photos of Duck Magret With a Blueberry Port Sauce
The Flying Chef's Note:
I decided to try another new way to prepare a duck breast with a new sauce, both my hubby and I enjoyed this. I thought it turned out really well with sauce really complimenting the duck. I did adjust the ingredients several times but I think I have written the right quantities for 2 people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 duck breasts (I live near France so I buy magret they are larger than regular breasts so choose ones of a nice siz)
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 orange, zest of
Blueberry Port Sauce
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 150 g blueberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30 g butter
- 300 g baby spinach leaves
Rosti Style Potatoes
- 1Duck Breast.
- 2Place the duck breast in a container with the garlic, orange zest and thyme. Cover the container and place it in a refrigerator, leave it to infuse for a few hours.
- 3Cook duck breast skin side down over medium/high heat to render fat and crisp skin. This will take 8-10 minutes, you will have to drain fat periodically as a lot of fat will fill the pan, just be careful. as it is very hot.
- 4Transfer duck to an oven proof dish, place on a wire rack and cook in 180c oven for 20-25 minutes, this will leave it nice and pink in the middle. I turn the oven, to grill, for the last few minutes to really crisp up the skin, but take your pick I like it this way.
- 5Blueberry Sauce.
- 6Heat port, half the berries and redcurrant jelly in a pan. Heat to a medium/high heat and leave to simmer for 8-10 minutes until it reduces to a thin sauce consistency.
- 7Add a little water to cornflour and add to sauce to thicken slightly, add Dijon mustard and whisk to dissolve.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in remaining berries and serve immediately.
- 10Heat oil in a large pan add onion and garlic, cook until onion softens.
- 11Melt butter in same pan, add spinach and cook until spinach is soft.
- 12Rosti Style Potatoes.
- 13Heat butter in a pan, add onion and garlic and cook until soft, using an absorbent cloth squeeze any excess liquid from potatoes and add to pan, cook until potato is sticky. Remove mixture from pan.
- 14Using egg rings place mixture inside and cook until browned and crisp on both sides.
- 15Alternatively I did this last night as I was in a hurry, but it does not make for the best presentation. Just leave potato in pan and stir cooking until crisp, it is a little quicker but potato is in bits rather than a nice shaped ring.
- 16To Serve: Pour a little sauce on plate, place sliced duck breast on top of sauce, serve spinach and rosti on the side.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Magret With a Blueberry Port Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (962 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1255.9
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 385.1 mg
- Sodium 590.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 70.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of